10 November 2011

Failure

Well, I'm a complete and utter failure. As mentioned in my last post - I didn't have time to get a frozen yoghurt this week, so instead I decided that, if I could get at least 80% on my tracker and stick to my exercise schedule for the rest of this week, I could buy myself a treat from Etsy. Well, I couldn't even stick to it for one day! I failed on the first day! There were tim tams at work, so I had a couple instead of fruit for morning tea, fail no. 1. Then for afternoon tea I had a couple more, fail no. 2. I'd been having terrible cravings for meat all day, so at the supermarket I bought a can of lite Spam and ended up eating most of it, fail no. 3. Then I was feeling tired and it was hot and muggy, so I didn't do my weights routine as per my schedule, fail no. 4. Then after dinner, when Boy handed me some chocolate, I just took it and ate it without thinking about it, fail no. 5.
Weighed myself this morning, and I'd actually put on weight. Complete and utter fail! I'm so disappointed in myself. Caught sight of myself in the mirror in the elevator this morning and nearly burst into tears. What can I do to fix this situation? In order to have any possible chance whatsoever of redeeming myself, I have to:

1. Have no dessert for the rest of the week.
2. No work biscuits at all.
3. Drink 2 litres water every day.
4. I feel like there should be more, but I can't think of anything.

I'm unwilling to make any blanket statements about exercise - even though I have tomorrow off work (so I'll be away from the biscuits!), I'll probably be busy all day. And busy most of Sunday, if not all day. So far this week, I've just felt so tired and lethargic. But on the way to work this morning, had to walk the long way round the building, and was just starting to enjoy the walk and enjoy the feeling of my legs moving ... and then I had to go into work and sit on my butt for the next 4 hours. Just as I was starting to feel good about myself and my body for the first time in weeks, I had to go straight inside and sit still in the stuffy office air until I feel all sleepy instead. So unbelievably frustrating. But what's the point complaining, really - millions of people around the world are in the same boat. You just have to find a way to solve the problem, that suits your situation.

For example: so many sources say: you have to exercise in the morning! Well, I can't. I start work too early. My body and brain don't start working until later in the morning. (Thankfully the first few tasks I have to do in the morning are pretty mindless, otherwise I'd be in trouble!) But I was listening to Motivation to Move podcast a little while back, and he had some advice on the matter - you should tailor your routines to fit your own life and situation. Otherwise it won't happen! It doesn't matter what time of day you exercise, as long as you do it. Then, once you have the healthy habits established and you're starting to see results, you can start to tweak things from there. I was quite relieved when I heard that. I get so disheartened when I hear sources saying, "you have to do this, and you have to do that", and it's literally impossible to fit it into my life (not even just making excuses, it's logistically impossible). So it's good to hear someone say, "it's OK". And I guess that's the thing really, isn't it. No matter how many mistakes you've made in the past, you can always try again. Try something different. As long as you're doing something.