On the weekend I read Body Talk: A Power Guide for Girls by Elizabeth Reid Boyd and Abigail Bray.
I thought I would read it even though I'm not a teenage girl. I thought it would give me an interesting insight into a different perspective - and it did. The book looks at all the major issues facing teenage girls today, including relationships with family and friends, body image and media messaging, depression and other negative feelings, self-harm and suicide. Exercises provide a practical way to think about the issues and how to seek help if necessary. There are many quotes from girls (names changed) throughout the book, some of which were so sad, others filled with hope and positivity. They were a moving human touch that really added to the message.
One of the first exercises is to create a Tabula Rasa ("Blank Page"), a journal for private writing. I think this is a fantastic idea. Journal writing seems to help so many people of all ages and backgrounds. Most of the later exercises involve the Tabula Rasa as well, whether writing, drawing, collecting pictures, or reflecting on other activities. I imagine this aspect would be most helpful for a teenager, as it encourages creativity as well as providing a private space for self-expression.
Body Talk has a positive message without being sugary or preachy, and I can really see the exercises being helpful. In fact, I'm going to do some of them myself. This book would help a young girl see that she's not alone in the issues she faces, and that help is available. Even if she herself doesn't face all of these issues, reading the book would give her an understanding of what her friends may be going through. Parents could use it as a springboard to a conversation about issues they are concerned with. If I had a teenage girl, I would definitely give Body Talk to her.