Today is Wednesday: Hump Day as the wage slaves and salarymen call it. And I include myself amongst that group! Aside from feeling particularly cynical today, I'm revved up to go on a nice, long elephant-finding walk after work! I've got my shoes of speediness, clothes of casualness and backpack of lugginess all ready! I need to stop off and buy water of re-hydratedness and snack of energy-replenishingness, but other than that, I'm all organised! I'm fairly tired today (though not as bad as some days), and my back hurts a bit, but I'm still feeling motivated. I really hope I'll still feel that way at knock-off time!
Also, the weather forecast is looking a bit dodgy (winds, possible thunderstorm) so I'll keep an eye on the Bureau throughout the afternoon. I've been known to walk in the rain before, so it won't necissarily put me off if it's not too heavy. The sun is out at the moment though, so perhaps I'll be OK!
Meanwhile ...
I'm not quite half-way through my Baby Elephant Walk challenge yet, and I'm already thinking about ways I can keep my motivation high after I finish it. I did a 'normal' (non-elephant-finding) walk at lunch time yesterday, and I was thinking it would be a bit sad if that effort just got forgotten about. I wanted to channel it into a new goal or challenge. I thought to myself: I'll do a virtual Walk Around Australia! That's a bit far, maybe Walk Around Victoria! Walk Around Melbourne??!Hmmm. I did a bit of googling last night, and there are also various hiking tracks and other famous routes that you can 'walk' virtually. It works like this: every time you go for a walk, no matter where or when, you measure the distance you walked and super-impose that on the famous route. Then you can be like, "I made it to Paris today!" when in actuality you never left your own neighbourhood. Sounds like fun!
One website I found has quite a few routes already mapped out - and when you reach certain goals, you get sent a newsletter with interesting facts and some with recipes from the region you're 'walking' through. It sounds really good, but there's a membership fee, so I'll have to think about it. Then there's another site advertising Walktober, which is an initiative where people walk (obviously) and then enter their details on the site and the aim is to collectively walk to the moon. It's measured in number of steps though, and I can't be arsed faffing around with a pedometer again. Been there, done that, threw it against a wall. (In reality I put it in a drawer, but I was so frustrated with it that I felt like doing that!) I'm sure there are other sites out there, and I could always draw up my own routes. (I get to pore over maps, yay!)
I'm putting way too much thought into this at the moment, considering - as I mentioned earlier - I'm not even half-way through the Baby Elephant Walk challenge yet. I'd like to waffle on for a bit about food too, but I'll save that for tomorrow.