What an interesting weekend I've had. Boy and I decided to have a quiet one and relax. We were channel-surfing on the TV and came across a documentary about an Australian guy who had a rare disease, had found a way to improve his condition, and was going around the U.S., trying to find others with the same disease and help them. I missed the start, so I didn't really know what it was all about. Turns out, it was Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. I'd vaguely heard about it before, and hadn't thought very much about it. I figured it was probably some anti-body-diversity propaganda that would make me really angry. After all, the title is a bit provocative. I'm fat, yes, but I'm not sick and I'm certainly not nearly dead!
However, it was a very good thing that I got to watch it with no pre-conceptions. The doco was about one man, Phil, whom the Australian guy (Joe) met at a truck stop. He was, unfortunately, just like the title says. He was portrayed very sympathetically. Joe showed Phil what he had done to lose weight and help to improve his Urticaria (a skin disease that causes unbearable itchiness and blisters). The answer was, basically, a complete diet overhaul featuring freshly squeezed juices. Phil was, not just overweight, but sick too, and knew he was in trouble, so he asked for help. I really felt for him. I'm not as big as him, and not really sick, but I certainly related to when he talked about just not caring.
Phil took a holiday from his job as a truck driver, and went to stay in a small town by the lake. He went on a 're-boot' diet, eating/drinking nothing but fruit and vegetable juices for 30 days. He felt so fantastic that he decided to continue for another 30 days! He swam and walked every day - only a little at first, but it was so impressive to see him building slowly up. He went from struggling up 4 steps, to actually jogging! He looked absolutely fantastic afterwards. And of course was much healthier. It was so amazing and inspiring!
Well, obviously I can't take 2 months off work, and I'd go completely bananas-insane if I ate/drank nothing but juice for 2 months, but! The next day I went out and bought myself a juicer! I love it so much! Here's a picture of the model I got:

It's so sweet! It demolishes the fruit and vegges in a whirlwind of power! It sounds just like a woodchipper when you send something hard through it like a carrot or apple. Boy and I have had some great sessions throwing combinations of stuff in and seeing how it tastes. It's fun as well as healthy, and not only that, I got $40 off! Grandma would be proud.
Also! See the spout that comes out the left hand side? That's for all the fruit and vegge pulp. You can use the pulp in soups, stews, curries, etc. Boy and I love that sort of semi-frugal handiness.
Last night, we made fruit juice after dinner, with melon, apple, nectarines, a bit of carrot and ginger. It was delicious! Then after I drank it, I thought a little bit about having dessert. But then I didn't feel like it.
I'll just let that sink in for a second, because, that's big........
I was amazed. Normally, almost as soon as I've finished eating dinner, I'm starting to think about what to have for dessert, craving that sweet, sugary taste in my mouth. But not this time! I just had a cup of chai tea a bit later on. And, as I was getting ready for bed, I realised that I'd never had dessert. And it didn't worry me. Bizarre. (But in a good way!)
More updates as they happen.........