08 March 2012

That Clicking Sound

Was so excited about my juicer, that I forgot to update about my pedometer!

I wore it on Saturday - that was an at-home day. I didn't do any exercise and I just pottered around the house and did a little housework. ~3,600 steps (sorry I don't have my record with me, so it'll have to be estimates). I was actually quite surprised - I thought it would be less, considering I didn't leave the house at all that day. But at the same time it was kinda scary, as sources say you should have a minimum of 10,000 per day. But it was interesting to note, anyway.

I wore it on Sunday - ~7,300 steps. That day, I went to shopping and we walked around the shopping centre quite a bit. Other than that, I did exactly the same as Sat. Then just before bedtime - disaster struck!!! The pedometer fell in the toilet!! I pulled it out after only a few seconds, but it was full of water!!! Boy/Man took it apart and tried to try it off with my hairdryer, but there was all this condensation on the inside of the display. However, the display started working again. I waited with baited breath until the next morning, and it was OK. Phew!

I wore it on Monday - (first day of official challenge) ~7,400 steps. It was interesting to see how many steps I take on a typical weekday. I think wearing it spurred me on to walk more, get up for stuff, etc. I was very tired when I got home though, so I didn't do any exercise.

I wore it on Tuesday. - ~7,800 steps. By this stage it was getting quite annoying. The only way it will measure properly is if I wear it on my pants-band, in the centre of my back. It won't work if it's attached on the side. It was fine if I was just walking around, but with sitting, getting up, etc., it kept loosening off and it fell off a few times. Once on the tram even, which was quite embarrassing. And, of course, when I'm sitting down, it digs into my back. So, I'm a bit over it. I've decided to wear it a few times on days when I'm doing different things, and take an average.

I didn't wear it on Wednesday - estimated ~9,200. It's only higher because I went out for lunch, and then I walked to the end tram stop (counting the no. of steps in my head as I went). I did notice that, throughout the day, I was less enthusiastic about jumping up and walking around for things at work. But then again, my colleague was away sick so I didn't have time to think about/do it anyway.

I'm not so excited about the pedometer anymore. I'm not so excited about the juicer, either. I'm not so excited about anything, really. I'm very tired, all the time. Even when I wake up in the morning.
I'm only up so early this morning because I had another nightmare. That's two nights in a row. I won't go into tonight's one because it touched a bit close to home. (Ones like that make me especially tired because I can't stop thinking about them.)
It seems like I haven't done anything that I enjoy doing for a long time (except for surfing the internet, cos that takes no energy), and it's starting to get really frustrating. I've always known that when I don't do anything creative/self-expressive, I get down and frustrated. Sure, surfing the internet is fun while I'm doing it, but I'm not actually doing anything, and that makes me sad and regretful, that I've wasted my weekend or my evening. Some people are happy just to do that in their spare time, but not me. I like to do and make things. And when was the last time I made anything?? Ages ago.

I know that 'all' I need to do is just start exercising again, build up slowly and I'll have more energy. I'm so exhausted all the time though, I'm finding it very difficult to start.
However, I'm not the kind of person to lie around moping about it! I'm the kind of person who finds out more! So I googled 'how can I exercise when i'm tired all the time?' and found some tips from others on the intertubes:
- take aloe vera juice every day
- eat foods high in iron and vitamin C or take supplements
- take a supplement with B vitamins
- take a multivitamin
- take this stuff called tre-en-en which has plant lipids
- get at least 8 hours sleep
- get quality sleep
- eat less at night so you will get to sleep better
- go to a sleep clinic
- get tested to see if you have anaemia and/or diabetes
- eat healthier
- just start exercising

These were all from normal people (not experts) and people trying to flog their products, so I'm taking them for what they are. Perhaps good advice, perhaps not.
All I know is - something has to change.
It's time for me to start getting ready for work now. Hopefully I can make some time to think about these things soon.