08 May 2012

Food, glorious food

Hello! Didn't think you'd hear from me again so soon? Neither did I. Things are so crazy at the moment, I don't know if I'm coming or going, and don't have much time for anything. I don't think I've given up on my weight loss goal completely though, because I'm suddenly really interested in cooking healthy! Why on earth I'm so interesting in cooking when I have no time for it, I don't know. That's just like me: it's like my brain is deliberately trying to be frustrating!

At the moment I'm reading a book set in Japan: Kafka on the Shore. Whenever the characters have something to eat, it's described more or less in detail, and it's usually traditional Japanese food, so now I have a real hankering for Japanese food! Compounded by the fact that I was leafing through last month's SBS Feast Magazine yesterday, and they had a feature on Japanese dishes. I love Japanese food so much, but I always have a pre-conception that it's fiddly and takes a long time. The dishes in the book though, were really simple, hearty stuff like miso soup and fried eel with rice, katsu pork with noodles. Mmm!

I have to laugh at myself, really - I'll be cooking for one for the next week, and I just assumed that I'd hate the cooking and would want to get takeaway or something. But I'm actually looking forward to it. Now I'm torn between spending as much time with Husband as possible, and coming home a little early to whip up a healthy, Asian-inspired meal. Sigh!