It's Thursday already! I feel like this week's gone so fast, I haven't had time to do anything. Testing out my new exercise schedule has had its ups and downs so far, but I'll look at it more closely at the end of the week. Been eating very well this week, kind of accidentally, I have to admit. But better than the alternative.
In Other News ...
This morning at work, I overheard a short piece of conversation between a woman (someone I don't know) and her (male) colleague. She said that she's going on holiday in a month's time, and she'll be on a liquid diet until then so she can 'shed some kilos'. They bustled off before I could hear his reply.
The way I reacted to hearing that was kinda mixed. First off, I wanted to say to her, "why are you trying to lose weight? You're perfect the way you are! Your butt is tiny!" (Of course I didn't say anything at all, them being total strangers and all, but this is what I was thinking.) Then I thought, 'how sad it is, that this woman is going through a month of torture, does she really think that's the only way she can enjoy her holiday?'
Then I was thinking, 'well, if she just compared herself to me, then she'd feel much better,' and 'I wonder what she and her colleague think of me?' Then I started feeling all defensive and had to think about rainbows until I felt better.
This experience really made me think about two things. Firstly, it was a reminder that many women have body issues, no matter what their size. This is something I'd worked out when I was young, but it was a reminder that I'm not alone. Don't get me wrong, it's not a case of schadenfreude - it didn't make me feel better about myself. Just not quite so freaky, I guess you could say. I felt sorry for her, as well.
The other thing was, why did I get so defensive about a conversation that had nothing at all to do with me? The analysing part of me thought this was very interesting. I don't have time to think about it right now, being at work. I'll see if I can make time to think about it a bit on the weekend.