1.17pm - The
Weight Loss for Food Lovers book is now talking about mindfulness. Eating food slowly and savouring it. Again, nothing new. I've seen it on CK, spark.com,
French Women Don't Get Fat, that other book I read about that guy who's always having the schmoozy lunches (I'll look it up later!). I guess that one makes sense as well. I've known about mindfulness as a general subject for a while, and more recently about mindfulness meditation. I tried reading a book on it, but got bogged down when it started going into physiological responses, etc. For something supposedly so simple, people can write really long books on it! But the exercise that he uses seemed quite simple and easy to try. Whenever you're in a stressful situation, or worrying about the future or the past, or just anytime, stop and ask yourself, "what time is it?" And you're supposed to answer "Now." That didn't work for me, cos I kept getting the song
The Time is Now by Moloko in my head whenever I tried it! So instead I tried saying, "How are things
right now?" And I did my best to block out thoughts of the past or future, and concentrate on what I'm seeing, hearing and feeling in the moment. It did work to calm me down a few times. Which is good.
But how do I apply this to eating??
Meanwhile ...
Feeling very tired today. We had a morning tea and I made sure to eat only one portion of each treat (5, in case anyone's wondering!). It's more sugar than I've been used to lately anyway, and now I'm all sleepy! I was going to go for a walk at lunchtime, but I think I'm really going to have to force myself. Often when I do that, I end up walking further than I'd originally planned, so hopefully that'll happen. I'm on late shift today - I'll be here all alone for 2 hours after everyone else's left, and it'll be a test of willpower not to eat any of the leftover treats! Argh!
This post was transferred from calorieking.com.au