What happened in the last week?
It was a bit of a tough one again this week. I tried a few different things to deal with my head/jaw aches, and I’m starting to think there are a combination of factors (both physical and energy-related) in play which make things more complicated. I feel like I’m starting to make progress, though.
I’ve been continuing my series of drawings using office supplies. I did a few quick drawings of myself, trying to show my mood through facial expression, colour and symbolism. A cloud raining over my head in blue highlighter was perhaps a bit obvious, but it made me feel better!
After seeing the Van Gogh exhibition a few weeks ago, my interest is continuing. I found a website that has his complete letters (nearly 600) online for free. You can view a facsimile of the original letter next to a translation side-by-side. I just love looking at the handwriting and paper as well as reading the translation. Most of the letters are to Van Gogh’s younger brother Theo. When they first started corresponding to each other, Vincent was 20 and Theo was only 16. I feel really moved when I read the letters and think about the brothers and their close relationship. I guess I also feel close to them because I’m Dutch like them, my grandfather’s name was Theo … and in one photo of Vincent when he was young, he even looks like my Opa. (Madness runs in my family, too…) I did some drawings of the two brothers from photos. I feel almost embarrassed to admit this, like it’s some sort of fangirling hero worship. But then again, I was planning on drawing some fictional ‘heroes’ from the Harry Potter universe, so why not?
I’ve been more keenly aware this week of how reluctant I am to return to painting. I have a really big Stuck! I know that the Unsticking Station is there, but I’ve been so busy, I haven’t had time. I didn’t even have time to work on the Give Your Dream Wings course this week. Now I’m writing my Sharing Circle when I’m supposed to be cooking dinner….
Frustrating.
I did have some nice times this week though. I’ve been going for longer walks in the park at lunchtimes while I listen to podcasts on spirituality. Autumn leaves are falling, but the sun still warms my back most days. Occasionally I get into that frame of mind where I notice everything, every tiny detail, every noise, every smell, and a sense of excitement bubbles away inside me. A joy at how beautiful the world is and how lucky I am to be alive. I spent the weekend with friends: driving, playing games, eating, laughing, and learning how to do nail wraps! Can’t complain.