I'm feeling an urge to update my blog at the moment, but I can't think of what to say. It's a mad situation. And I apologise in advance that it's so badly-written.
We move house in one week exactly. I've completely lost track of time. All the things that I had on my list of things to do, which I needed to wait a few weeks or months to do, are suddenly things I have to do NOW. It's really scary. Husband and I still have a lot of packing to do. Last weekend, we didn't do any. We'd gotten to the point where almost everything non-essential was packed. So we were in a situation where, before we packed any one item, we had to decide whether we would really need it or not in the next couple of weeks. It was too stressful, so we didn't pack anything. Of course I look back on that now and regret it intensely. But that's life.
It hasn't all been chores, of course. There have been some bright moments. Like finding things I hadn't seen since I last moved house and had been wondering if they were lost forever. Making a phone call to a utility company and laughing more during the call than I had in weeks. Browsing Etsy for an address stamp design.
I know there will be a lot of changes when I move house, and I'm not so good with change, so I've been trying to prepare for them. The one that's been on my mind the most is the transport arrangements. When you spend 2 hours a day getting to and from work on public transport, it's a significant part of your life, so I guess I've been thinking about it a lot.
Firstly, we'll be catching the train instead of the tram. That makes me sad. I love trams. I'll miss it. Everybody catches the train and every city in the world has a train system, it's so common and mundane. (... Perhaps if I pretend that I'm back in Japan, it'll seem more exciting? ...)
Secondly, it's a 15-minute walk from the train station to our house. Or 20 minutes, I'm not sure. I haven't actually walked it yet. Regardless, I've been used to being like a zombie in the morning, walking at lunchtime and then being pretty much exhausted by the time I finish work, let alone when I get off public transport at night. Soon, my routine will be by force completely topsy-turvy. I knew that I needed to ease myself into it! So, a couple of weeks ago, I started getting off the tram about 5 stops later and walking further home. It's been good. I was able to walk the distance just fine, right from the start. However, I've noticed over the last few weeks that my perception of it has changed. It seems like it doesn't take as long. It's less effort. When I get home, I feel tired, but it's the good "I've done something" tired, not the negative "I'm just exhausted/a complete slacker" kind of tired. (... I have to admit, I've enjoyed the extra quiet/alone time during my walks as well. ...) I've still been going on my lunchtime walks as well, but not as often, I have to admit. I still feel self-conscious, and when I know I'm going to get exercise after work, then it's more tempting to just go on the internet instead.
Today I even started using the new bag I bought. The one I have isn't good for carrying long distances. Aside from that, it's so old that the vinyl is starting to peel off and I'm starting to find bits of it around the house. It's probably a sign. I'm very attached to my old bag and I'll miss it. I got many compliments on it, even when I'd had it for ages and it was looking really shabby. The new one needs a little modification - it has no hanging points to add charms to!! And I might add some badges in the future once I've unpacked them.
So Yay Me. Now I'm tempted to detail all the areas where I've been falling down in the last few weeks, but in the end I can't be bothered. In brief: eating too much, dreaming too much, concentrating too little, drinking too little water, no writing, no stretching or strength training, no trying.