08 August 2013

Busy as a Bee

I can't remember the last time I posted! I've been as quiet as a mouse. Not really, more like as busy as a bee.

* Preparations for moving house are continuing apace. Husbandy One and I have started packing, and it's quickly become a very daunting job. I don't mind the packing itself - I like being able to go through all of my things, remind myself of things I'd forgotten I even had! They can bring back a lot of memories. Craft books I'd bought remind me of projects I was planning and I have renewed motivation to do them. (Some point after we've moved, not right now, obviously!) The daunting part is the sheer amount of stuff we have to pack. We have a lot of stuff! How did I get so much stuff?! Last time we moved house, I got rid of a huge amount: 20 large garbage bags of rubbish and about 10 large bags of items to the op shop. Even still, we moved with about 60 boxes of small items, not including the furniture. We had to vacate our unit due to it being sold, and we only had a month to do it in. Things got a little manic in the end, with drunken bag-stuffing sessions and hysterical laughing. (It was the middle of summer, too. Hot and unpleasant.)
It'll be interesting to see how many boxes there are this time, two-and-a-half years later. I'm fairly sure that I haven't acquired much more in that time, but in reality I don't know for sure. The only things I can think of to get rid of are a few read magazines, and that's not even enough to fill one garbage bag! That's scaring me a bit. Normally I see moving house (painful as it is) as a good way of going through and purging all my stuff. But if I'm only purging a couple of magazines...?! ...But on the other hand, perhaps that means I did a really good job of purging last time??... I suppose if we were moving somewhere smaller, or to another rental, I'd be purging big-time again. But we're moving to a larger place, and we'll own it so no worries about being kicked out on the owner's whim. It's a lot more tempting to just keep everything. (Sadly, I have to admit, we've actually had conversations where we tried to guess the owner's state of health after seeing them at the inspections. As the reason we had to move last time was that the owner passed away. The life of a tenant can be quite surreal!)

* In a similar vein, I've also been trying to prepare for the move and my life after it by manning-up a bit. It's been going slowly, but at least I've been thinking about it, I suppose. Packing boxes is strengthening me up a bit (not much so far, but there's still plenty to pack!). I've been doing some squats here and there, while I've been waiting for the kettle to boil, etc, when I think of it.
I'm starting to get into the habit of wearing my sneakers to and from work. That has been quite easy. The only thing I've noticed is that there are a lot more socks to wash! Seeing as I change into my sneakers before going outside, I don't really have the need anymore to wear the new waterproof ankle-boots I bought last month. I've only worn them once, and that was to a dinner on the weekend, not to work! I'm kicking myself a bit, thinking they were a waste of money.

* I've been trying to fit more walking into my day as well, but that's been hard, with the winter weather. I'm not as fit as I was 6 months ago sadly, so I haven't been walking as far when I do find the time and the weather aligns. Plus, I'm still having that problem where I get pains in thighs and butt when I walk more than about a block. I try to push myself to do more, but it's hard. I want try and find out why I'm getting these pains - is it not drinking enough water? Is it lack of certain nutrients? Is it not giving myself time to warm up? Is it the shoes I'm wearing? Is it the cold weather? I don't have the time to try and experiment and find out what the issue is. I've tried doing research on the internet and asking doctors, and I got some suggestions to try, but I don't have time to put them into practice. No time, no time. I feel like that's my mantra.

* Sorry, I didn't mean this post to become a big whinge-fest. I've been feeling a bit off-colour this week. So perhaps the only reason I'm posting is to have a whinge-fest! I felt extremely tired earlier in the week, and now I just feel really bloated and sluggish. I don't know if it's a real word or not, but one of my favourites words lately is 'sluggardly'. =D
There's also been something strange about the air conditioning here at work lately: it's been extremely hot. Well, to my mind it is, anyway. I've been thirsty, my eyes feel dry and I have a sore throat. I will need to take extra good care of myself.

* P.S.: It's funny - I can hear a helicopter outside my work right now. The sounds of helicopters in the city always makes me think of Summer and warm weather. Probably because I associate them with the big sporting events that happen here in Summer.

[Later On]
* Oh yeah, forgot to mention.... I talked not long ago about being concerned about my knees. I'm not sure why, but thankfully they seem to be getting better. I'm all right to go up and down stairs again, and I sometimes even have a little spring in my step to boot! That's one less thing to worry about. =D