07 June 2013

A Conversation with Body : Revisited

I mentioned last week that I had second Conversation with Body, and promised to post it here. So here it is! The last Conversation was a long time ago, so I think it's time!

Brain: Hi Body!

Body: Hm, it's you. What do you want?

Brain: Aw, you don't seem very happy to see me. What's wrong?

Body: You've been ignoring me for months! We haven't talked in years! And now all of a sudden you pop up.

Brain: I haven't been ignoring you! ... Have I?

Body: Mostly!

Brain: But I give you water and food and I've been taking you for lunchtime walks ... most days.

Body: That's just it! You have good intentions, but you're not consistent! And we spend so much of our time at the Sitting Place, I hardly get to move at all!

ApartmentCat: Yeah, work is dead boring! Do we have to go??

Brain: I'm afraid so, guys. We need money to pay the rent, you know.

Body: What's 'money'?

ApartmentCat: Money?! But we're a higher spiritual being! We don't need money! We can live in the forest, eating berries and sleeping under the stars every night!

Brain: Um, yeah, sure. Let me put it this way, AyCee: no monee, no paintee!

ApartmentCat: Awwwww!

Brain: You know I love you, ApartmentCat, but I'm really trying to talk to Body right now. I'll have a chat with you later.

ApartmentCat: Oooh, rainbow! *skips away*

Brain: Okay, let's get back to the business at hand. I'm here to talk to you, body. To listen to you.

Body: Really?

Brain: Yes! Tell me what you want! Tell me how much water is enough? How many cups of green tea a day should I drink? Tell me if the Brazil Nuts we're eating every morning are helping. Should I cut back on coffee? Tell me why you're so sore and stiff. Tell me why, about 3 minutes into a walk, the muscles in your legs and glutes start aching so much? How can we fix that??

Body: *shrugs* Ahdunno.

Brain: But .... why???

Body: Ok, you're starting to stress me out again. I'm gonna get us to take a deep breath .... there.

Brain: Thanks, sorry about that. Now where were we? Oh yes, tell me what you need, Body. I'm listening.

Body: Less time at the Sitting Place and more time moving would be my Number One request.

Brain: Um, I've already explained to you why we can't stop going to work, I mean, the Sitting Place. I'm really sorry. But I'm sure there's a way we could compromise.

Body: Well, we've been spending a lot of extra time at the Sitting Place lately. Can we cut back on that?

Brain: I'm pretty sure that's doable. What else?

[off in the distance] ApartmentCat: I looove it when you put makeup on us! We look so pretteee! And lots of yummy-smelling creams!

Body: I don't mind that, either, as long as you wash my face properly every night! Give me lots of water every day, please. And take me for a Lunchtime Walk ... every day, not just half the time.

Brain: Okaaay.

Body: I can understand that we don't go when it's too wet or cold. I know you don't want to get sick and trust me, I sure don't either! But when we don't go because you're feeling embarrassed at being seen and worried about what other people think of you ... well, I'm sorry, but that's kinda lame.

Brain: But ...

Body: What's more important, me or what other people think of you? Are you ashamed of me?

Brain: I.... Okay, I promise to go every day that isn't too wet. You're my house, and I want you to be strong, with solid walls.

[off in the distance] ApartmentCat: Not to mention well-decorated! teehee!

Body: Thanks, I appreciate it. If you're consistent, then I promise I'll do my best.

Brain: And to stop you from being so stiff and sore? What do you need for that? Do you want to take up yoga again? Tai chi? Pilates? H.I.T.? 10BX? Nia? Shiva Nata? Couch to 5k?

Body: Whatty-whatty-what now?? That all sounds so complicated! No wonder you get stressed out so much. Look, when we get home from the Sitting Place each day, we're both tired. I don't want to have to learn anything too complicated, and I'm sure you don't want to either.

Brain: So what do you want to do?

Body: Let's go back to basics. Right back to the start.

Brain: Okay, what are we talking about here?

Body: Stretching!

Brain: But ... it seems too ... simple! Surely there must be more to it! I should be doing more!

Body: *laughs* Oh Brain, you're so funny! You just need to trust me.

Brain: Ok, sure. I'll try. But I don't know where I'm gonna fit it in. I mean, I get home, have dinner, watch my favourite TV show, write my Pages, then ....

Body: Brain, you're the expert in figuring out all the small details, so I'll leave all of that up to you. I know you'll do brilliantly.

Brain: Really?

Body: Of course! Hey, at lunch time can we go get some edamame?

Brain: Of course! I love edamame!

[off in the distance] ApartmentCat: I loooove edamamayyyyy!