09 June 2013

Sunday Observations

I just wanted to quickly check in and say hi. Hi! I decided to do a couple of little things differently this past week, and I wanted to record my observations:

* I started adding a couple of teaspoons of protein powder to my breakfast in the mornings at work. Normally I have muesli, cereal or porridge with some dried fruit and nuts in it for breakfast as I'm working. In the last few months I've noticed that later in the morning, I get cravings for things like bacon and eggs. I'd also read that it's best to have a breakfast with lots of protein and it will keep you fuller for longer. After a week of adding the powder I've noticed that I no longer have cravings for high-protein foods! Seeing as I don't have access to these at work and I haven't been able to satisfy my craving, no longer having that craving makes me happier and less stressed. I go longer before getting hungry again. And if I do get a craving, it's for something with cereal in it, usually one of my multi-grain Vita-Weat Lunch Slices. I normally have these on hand or something similar for morning tea, so I can eat what I'm craving and I'm happy.

* I don't know if it's related to my new morning habit, but I've been craving sugar less in the afternoons. I tend to go up and down with this. Some days I feel like stabbing myself in the eye if I don't get that chocolate! (That tends to correlate with Lady Week.) Other days I'm satisfied with some sugar-free pastilles or a mandarine. I only had one day last week when I was craving the chocolate, on Thursday. I ate half a Freddo Frog. Half! I put the other half back in the wrapper and saved it for the next day. And you know what? On Friday at afternoon tea time, I didn't want it. I didn't want the chocolate or anything sweet! I was hungry for something with grains in it, so out of all the food stashed in my drawer, I decided to have a Lunch Slice.

* Having said that, yesterday I baked a cake (white cake with sultanas and cream cheese icing, for the interested). And last night, while Husband and I were watching Paper Giants: Magazine Wars that we'd taped earlier in the week, we ... um... sorta-kinda ... ate the whole thing. Oops. Not all in one go, in bits over the course of the evening. It wasn't a conscious decision, it just happened. I suppose we'd semi-consciously decided that we were going to eat more than one piece each ahead of time, because Husband brought the whole cake out into the lounge with a knife, and I didn't say anything to contradict him. And then once it was three-quarters gone, it just seemed neater and tidier to dispose of the rest of it. Hmmm, oops.
In a way I can see how it happened, though. My eating habits on the weekend are the completely opposite of what they are during the week. On the weekend we have a couple of large meals, instead of moderately small meals and small snacks throughout the day. And I keep forgetting to drink water on the weekends, too. So really, it was bound to happen. And no matter what good intentions I have, I rarely exercise on the weekends, either. This is one area of my life that I really need to look at.

* I said at the start that I made a couple of small changes, but really it was only the one!