16 January 2012

More Bean Spilling

Now that I've received the official paperwork for my second secret, I can tell it -
I have a new job! I start next Monday. I'm very excited, but mostly absolutely terrified. I've always been awful with meeting new people. I think I'm going to be fine, and then my negative voice kicks in and starts saying that people won't like me because of how I look, etc. But I just keep telling myself - it doesn't matter what I look like, what matters is whether I can do the job. And I know I can! It's basically the same work I'm doing now. It will be a busier environment, but I think I'll be able to cope with that. The best part is - it's a permanent job. I won't be a temp anymore as I have been for the last 4 years. I'll get holiday leave and sick leave! I'll be able to plan things like buying a house. It's very exciting, really!

There'll be so many changes. I hate change; it's scary. The thought of having to fit in with a whole new routine is very daunting for me. On the other hand, my current job has a very complicated routine - early shift this day, late shift that day, 1/2 hour lunch this day, 1 hour lunch that day. All that will be gone!
There are other changes I'll have to think about too, but I'll talk about them later in the week.

Meanwhile ...

The other day I was reading this post by Crazy Aunt Purl. Her blog isn't a knitting blog anymore, but I still love reading about her real-life wierd adventures as a fish-out-of-water Southern Belle living in Hollywood. Her post was about how she's managed to separate exercise from weight loss. Exercising used to be a horrible chore because she was 'only' doing it to lose weight. Now she walks every day because she really enjoys it and isn't doing it for any ulterior motive. She walked over 1,100 miles last year! (That's 1,770 kms! Things always look better in metric.)
I completely understand where Crazy Aunt Purl is coming from here. I enjoy moving my body, getting outside and going for a walk, or putting on the Kinect and Zumba'ing my butt off. But the second I start to think that I 'have' to do it, in order to lose weight, then all motivation goes out the window. I can't be bothered, it all seems too much effort, and my butt stays on that couch! So that's something to think about.