I'm quite happy with myself because I've managed to do my Morning Pages 5 days in a row now. Well, I don't really think of them as Morning Pages now, just "my Pages" or even "my Brain Dump". It's technically not correct to call them Morning Pages anyway, as I'm not doing them in the morning! Speaking of, I mentioned last time that I ruled out Time-of-Day Option 1 earlier in the week (i.e. writing as I'm on the tram going to work in the mornings). I tried out Time-of-Day Option 2 on Tuesday - writing the pages while I'm on my lunch break at work. Again, this is one that did turn out OK on the day, but only because of certain circumstances. I wasn't going out for lunch, and didn't have anything I needed to go out and buy, but most seriously, I gave up my lunch time walk. Aside from that, my workplace has the kind of culture where people have no qualms about going up to a colleague when they're obviously eating their lunch, and asking them to do something then and there. I'm not complaining about it, it's just something you have to be prepared for if you choose to eat your lunch at your desk (which I do after I've finished my walk, for the sweet Intertubes access). So, while I coincidentally didn't get interrupted that day, I felt a slight tension that I might be at any time. It was also very strange pouring out my deepest thoughts at work! When it boils down to it, I really feel that I should spend my lunch break going for my walk. I'm too tired to exercise either before or after work, and I realised some time ago that lunch time is really the only time when it's going to happen. I'd really be doing myself a harm if I gave it up.
But I'm not giving up on my Pages yet! On Wednesday (yesterday) I tried Time-of-Day Option 3. This was: at approximately 7pm, after Husband and I have had dinner, and after my favourite TV show has finished. Usually between about 7pm and 7.30, there's nothing I want to watch on TV. Yes, I timed it based on what was on TV. How sad! But in reality, I would normally play ipod games or check my email while the political and sports news is on, while I'm waiting for something I actually want to watch to come on. So I thought, why not give it a go? I grabbed my journal, said to Husband, "I'll be back in a little while", went into the bedroom, laid on the bed under a blanky and wrote! It felt good, it felt smooth. This seems to be the right thing for me. Perhaps it's not as effective as doing it as soon as I get up in the morning, but I'm not really an 'effective' person. I'm not a '4-Hour Workweek' kind of person! As long as it fits in between my TV-watching schedule, then it works for me! Bwaahahahha!
On the weekends I'll do it as soon as I get up (post-coffee!) anyway. As a treat for lasting 5 days in a row, I ordered myself a nice fountain pen and some ink. I hope they come soon!
In Other News ....
In other
So I ended up taking the tram to the shops. I did buy a pair of socks and some insoles when I was there, though!
This little dilemma did highlight to me how badly I take care of myself in some ways. I just have a thing about shoes. In the last few years I've become too shy to go into those shops where you have to talk to staff in order to obtain a pair of shoes. That limits me to places like Payless, Big-W and K-Mart (Target is too expensive, eheheh). I usually buy the cheapest ones possible. Ones with thin soles, or that are so poorly designed they're in danger of falling off. On the rare occasions when I do find a pair that are actually comfortable, I wear them until there are holes in them so big I can literally feel the ground on the soles of my feet!
It's mad, really!
This is something else that I need to work on!