11 September 2012

Baby Elephant Walk Check-In: Elephants 29-35

Today was an absolutely mammoth effort. I walked all the way from the city to the Botanic Gardens and back, found 7 elephants, and I'm very proud of myself! So here's the story:

I started out at Southbank, where I found these three lovelies:




The bottom one was so beautiful, and it was hidden away in a dark courtyard. What a shame! I had trouble finding it, and only found it when I saw someone coming out from the courtyard who I'd seen taking photos of the other elephants just previously. (Sometimes you need to resort to underhand measures to hunt these elusive elephants!)
Then I walked past the Arts Centre and through the parklands until I found this baby:



I love how the elephant's eyes were also the eyes of the other animals painted on it. A few artists have gone with this concept. I pushed on then and made it to the Botanic Gardens! I hadn't been there for years, and forgotten how much I loved it. I grabbed a map, and working between it and the Zoo app, found my way to these two:




They both have a natural, jungle theme, one with Chinese style painted animals, and the other with a tropical jungle scene. They were both beautiful.
The last elephant of the day was the hardest to find. The app was a bit off as to its location. I wandered around for a bit, then I saw a woman taking a photo of something. She seemed to be on her own, so I didn't think she was taking a photo of another person. I followed my instincts and - yes! she was taking a photo of this lovely:



Normally I don't really like butterflies as a motif, but I loved how they seemed to be coming out of the ground and flying into the sky. After that I sat down and had a rest and a snack. When I checked the time I was amazed at how long I'd been walking for: about an hour and a half! Before I started my walk, I'd assumed that I was going to take the tram back into the city and home from there. But! I felt like more walking! I decided to walk back to the city, and that I did. I walked along the Tan, and saw all the different sorts of people that walk/run along there. It was very interesting. Then when I was getting close to the tram stop, I was still feeling invigorated, and I actually wanted to walk more! But my feet hurt badly, so I called it a day. I've had my sneakers since 2008. Perhaps I should think about a purchase. =)

When I calculated how far I walked today, I was astounded! Over 6 kms! And I barely even noticed it until my feet started hurting. The more I went on, the more I felt I could do. I'm so proud of myself!

Distance Walked: 6.57 km
Elephants Found: 7