29 August 2012

Midweek Ruminating

Welcome to the middle of the week.

I'm pretty much recovered from my mammoth walking session on Monday. On the one hand, I'm proud of myself that I walked so far; on the other hand, feel ashamed because I used to be able to walk much further! I started to get worried that I wouldn't be able to find all 50 elephants before the exhibition is over (21st September). Many of them are an even longer walk away than the ones I found on Monday. But then I started to think about the situation on Monday: I had just finished work and my energy levels were depleted to begin with (I'm doing the jobs of 2 people plus writing up a new procedures manual at the moment); I was wearing my work clothes, which I think is a psychological disadvantage because I don't want to do anything too strenuous in them and ruin them; I was lugging all my work stuff with me, plus the stuff I'd bought at lunch time; all my stuff was in a sling bag which I'd bought cheap at lunch time, so the weight of it was on one side and constantly pulling me off balance; the sling bag had a thin cord strap which dug into my shoulder; the air was quite cold and that makes it harder for me to exercise because of my asthma. Some may call these excuses. I call them facts, and reasons not to beat up on myself. After all, I did complete the walk as intended, didn't I? I can do this! I just have to be more organised and realistic next time.

So these are the things I need to do (in no particular order):
- find my backpack and see if it's suitable, if not, buy a new one;
- look at the locations of the remaining elephants and plan out routes: I may be able to combine up to 6 in a single walk;
- divide the routes up into long and short, and decide which are short enough to do at lunch time, which I need to leave to after work, and which are long enough to merit bringing a change of clothes to work
- the matter of the ultimate 2 elephants: the ones at Melbourne Zoo itself. Aside from being the furthest one away, I don't know if these ones are actually inside the zoo or just outside. If they're inside, and I go after work, then the zoo will be shut by that time and I won't be able to see them. Even if they're outside, and I do get to see them, then it would be pretty disappointing being at the zoo and not being able to go inside! So perhaps Husband and I would have to go on the weekend? But if we do that, then where should I start my walk from?? What a dilemma!
- do it!!
Other thoughts: I should probably make sure I space them out evenly and don't do all the short walks in the beginning, leaving all the longer walks to the end. If it takes me a couple of days to recover from a really long one, then it makes sense to alternate with short ones.

Right, I'm gonna log off right now and start planning!