23 November 2011

Wierdy Wednesday

Been doing it again! Deluding myself!
I know myself so well, so how do I think I can get away with it?

On Monday, I didn't feel like going for my lunchtime walk. All morning, my brain was zinging away with reasons excuses not to go. The clothes I'm wearing are too nice, I'm wearing my nice top and I don't want to get sweaty, the sun's out and I don't want to have to put on sunscreen, the sun might fade my hair dye, I don't want anyone to see me. I can't help but snigger now thinking of those lame excuses! I said to myself, I'll walk after I finish work. or when I get home. (I didn't! I was too tired by then.) Deep down inside, I knew I wouldn't exercise later, but I talked myself out of exercising earlier anyway. Then I went around all beatin' myself up about it. Of course, as I do.

But I know myself, I know what works for me and what doesn't. Yesterday was a little different. I wanted to go for a walk after work, on the way home. But I had to go and check something out in a shop near my house before it shut. So I couldn't go for my walk before I got on the tram. I was feeling pretty tired, and I knew that, once I'd gotten in the door at home, I'd flake. So I had to think of something else. The shop was only about 2 blocks from my house, but I could walk 'the long way home'. Before I even got into the shop, I put on my ipod with my exercise playlist playing, because I know that always motivates me. Once I got out, I was still feeling pretty tired and stiff, but I knew that if I just did a little bit, things might get better. And they did. I ended up walking for about 25 minutes. When I got home, I felt justified in being able to relax. I was hungry, but it wasn't a craving, it was genuine hunger, so I ate something reasonable.
Today I feel good about myself instead of feeling lousy. And it all came from just being honest with myself.
So I guess the upshot of this is - I'm feeling quite all right! Yay!

Beauty Blather ...

As I mentioned last week, being the OCD, listy person I am, I decided to go through all my skin care, bath and beauty products and draw up an inventory. Well, it took me days! But I finally finished it last night. I had to divide it into 2 categories, it became that unwieldy. Links:
Skin & Hair Care, Bath Products
Makeup & Perfume
A note on the symbols I used. Items in Italics are ones still in the cupboard, that I haven't started using yet. Items with a '!' are ones that are running low. Items with '!>' mean I have a replacement for it already. Items with '!x' mean I'm not planning to replace it.

I also made a couple of other lists:
Bath & Beauty Products Used Up (includes ones thrown away)
A '>' after an items means I would get it again. A 'x' after an item means I wouldn't get it again.

And of course, the inevitable:
Bath & Beauty Products Wishlist
A '$' after an item means it's pretty expensive and it's really just a pipe dream.

I think my inventory will save me money as, instead of just buying new products when one runs out, I can check and see if I already have one in the cupboard without having to rummage through random stuff. I can also keep track of products I wasn't happy with, so I know to avoid buying them again.
Also - one of the odd, quirky things I get a sense of satisfaction from is using something up and throwing the container away. I'll cut the container open if I have to, to eke out the last drop of lotion or paint, and that makes me feel even better when I throw it away and get to buy a new one. My inventory will make it even more fun.