21 November 2011

It's a Monday kind of feeling...

Monday comes around again.

Last week it was my determination to eat right and move right all week. Well, up until Saturday, anyway! (Some events are important enough that you have to be content to regret, not to prevent.) I did well on the eating during the week (perhaps "too well" at one point: I got a bit dizzy) but not well at all on the exercising. Can I only concentrate on one thing at a time?? But there are so many things I want to change about myself! So unfair! But if I persist with something long enough, it can become a habit, and then I can concentrate on something else. Like when I swapped from having chocolate to having a milo whenever I had a sweet craving in the afternoons at work. If I can make that a habit, then I can do it with other things too. I think I've read that 3 weeks is the standard amount of time where persistence magically transforms into habit. So perhaps my Weekly Focus isn't the right tack to go about things? Perhaps it should be a Monthly Focus?

(When I was in high school, if you ever used the word 'monthly' in front of boys - they'd snigger. You had to be very careful what words you used in high school!)

The only problem with that approach is - I'm impatient! I want to exercise more now! Go to bed half-an-hour earlier now! Drink at least 2 lt water per day now! Stop eating dessert now! Drink green tea every day now! Meditate effectively now! Find a sure-fire way to eliminate my cravings now!
I'm starting to sound like one of those self-help gurus! But you get the point - very impatient. Really do demand a lot of myself, don't I? No wonder I get so worked up and stressed out. No wonder I've developed high blood pressure. (Found that out last week.)


Gotta relax...
gotta relax...
gotta relax...
eeek!

(Just kidding.)


I did really well to increase my water intake to 1 lt per day over the last week. I was proud of myself for that. So for the rest of this month I'll focus on increasing to 2 lt per day, also making sure I carry water when I exercise. Here's a pretty picture to inspire me:



Source: google.com on Pinterest.