18 February 2013

Hot + Reading

The last 6 days have been hot. Over 30oC. For me, that's really hot! I was born in Australia and lived here all my life, but it seems my Northern European genes won't let me adapt to hot climes. I really hate the heat, so I'm going to exercise my blog-ocratic right to whinge about it!

On weekdays, the only time I can exercise is at lunch time, and that's the hottest part of the day. Also, on days over about 28-30o, I wear a skirt. This also involves wearing shoes that go with the skirt, and more importantly, anti-chub-rub measures, neither of which are compatible with walking long distances. Even if I did want to get out there and swelter and tire myself out. So on hot days I stay in, take a short lunch break and build up some flexi-time.
That's great if the heatwave last 1 or 2 days, but it if it lasts a week, that means I haven't exercised for a full week. That's not making any progress towards my goals. And more importantly, that's making my body feel weak and stiff and sad. I may need to re-think my previously working routine and make different plans for the hot weather.

In Other News ...

The book I ordered, 168 Hours: You Have More Time Than You Think finally arrived on Friday! It seems like months since I had the conversation in which this book was recommended to me, but it must have been just under 4 weeks ago. I'm already ahead of the game activity-wise, as I've already tracked my goings-on for a full week. I would say it was a very typical week as well, so I'm pleased with that. I made sure not to change any of my normal habits, which doesn't take any effort at all, so I don't know why I'm proud of myself! ahahha
Anyway, I've read Chapter 1 and I'm finding it good so far - the writing style is very readable and the subject matter isn't off-putting. Once I read a time management book which suggested in a rather aggressive manner that I should suck up to my boss until he gives me a better-paid position with less hours. And if that doesn't work, blow him away (metaphorically of course) and get my dream job with the big bux and infinite powers of delegation. This book hasn't mentioned anything like that so far, thankfully. It profiles some really interesting people (real life people!) who have jobs they enjoy (real life jobs!). One man became a chemistry professor because he was couldn't face telling his parents he really wanted to be a poet. After becoming established as a scientist, he started to follow his other passion, and now regularly writes books of poetry and plays, as well as doing Nobel-prize-winning science. That profile impressed me the most because it showed that you can successfully combine a day job and a creative career. My biggest dream.
I'll do a proper review of the book once I've finished, anyway.